Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?

From: Rahul Dhesi
Subject: Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:50:27 +0000 (UTC)

Rjack <user@example.net> writes:

>I find it incredible that after listening to seven years of pure legal
>gibberish from Eben "a license is not a contract" Moglen, you still
>spout crap such as: "So do you want to "steal" this code. .  ." ....
>....Automation by Design, Inc. v. Raybestos Products Co., 463 F.3d 749,
>(United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit 2006).

If he had used an obvious term of art such as "larceny" or
"infringement", maybe you would have been justified in reverting to your
usual practice of spouting fragments from federal court cases.  But he
wrote "steal", for which common dictionary meanings easily include any
unauthorized use.  For example, from Merriam-Webster's dictionary:

  1 a: to take or appropriate without right or leave and with intent to
  keep or make use of wrongfully

And if you must repeatedly spout your case law fragments, at least have
the courtesy to include a public link, e.g.:

  http://www.altlaw.org/v1/cases/1140974
--
Rahul
http://rahul.rahul.net/