Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?

From: Rjack
Subject: Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:05:07 -0500

Rahul Dhesi wrote:
Rjack <user@example.net> writes:

[ A whole bunnch of useless out-of-context quotes, some without
citations, and all without public links ]

And then:

So why do folks *start off* with the assumption that legal gibberish like the GPL is enforceable? This abandonment of reason by so many
people is truly baffling.

Actually I don't think they started with that assumption. In the
eighties, when the GPL was first created, many people had real doubts.
However, now, some decades later, it has become that the GPL can be
easily enforced, for the simple reason that no plaintiff has ever
defeated it, though many have wished they could.

You might recall the SCO guy loudly claiming that the GPL violated the
constitution. His company is now in bankruptcy court.

>>. . . for the simple reason that no plaintiff has ever defeated it, though many have wished they could. <<

The burden is on you to demonstrate a plaintiff that has every attempted to show the GPL is unenforceable under copyright law.
I think your fertile imagination is running wild in the Brave
GNU World.

I *do* know of five plaintiff suits filed by the SFLC for copyright
infringement under the GPL that have been defeated. I know that you want to count running scared "voluntary dismissals" as "victories" but reasonable people know better.

Sincerely,
Rjack :)