Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:52:07 -0400

amicus_curious wrote:
Second, I am saying that the GPL has no utility because it is trying to protect against something that is not important.

The freedom for users to be able to run, read, change, and share
programs is important to the FSF, and the GPL was created to
further those goals. Different people find different issues to
be important. I expect that the FSF continues to believe in the
importance of its goals, even if you do not.

In doing that, it stifles what little benefit is really provided
> to software developers via open source.

The FSF is OK with that, as are the programmers who contribute to
GPLed projects. No one owes software developers anything. If some
are feeling upset because they are not being offered things for
free that they would like to have, too bad for them. Dangling
shiny toys in front of them is what the GPL is supposed to do.