Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:31:10 -0400

amicus_curious wrote:
Has anyone ever tried to do that?  I cannot find any such case.

Well, they're either obeying the license and then the whole
project is under the GPL, or they're stealing and therefore
keeping it secret. So it's hard to say one way or the other.

The Busy Box stuff seems to be a silly egomaniac effort to get casual users to pay some homage to the author

The authors licensed their code in a specific way. Your ad
hominem attacks against their character notwithstanding,
people who wish to copy and distribute that code may do so
only according to that license. Additionally, your
characterization of, for example, router manufacturers as
"casual users" is ludicrous.

spending a lot of time and money to just look foolish

Since each action has resulted in GPL violations being repaired,
I reject the notion that they look foolish. Whether or not these
actions cost them money depends on the private details of the
settlements they reach, to which neither you nor I are privy.

it is also easily avoided and not necessary for any situation

By all means, people who do not wish to honor the license should
be encouraged to avoid using the software.