Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:48:02 -0400

   > Didn't exist my ass.

   Open source existed. The principles of open source as I understand
   them were articulated in The Cathedral and the Bazaar, and that
   came much later. I'm prepared to believe that I'm wrong, though, if
   you show me earlier statements of what you consider to be those
   principles. The first GPL is dated 1989.

And before that you had the {GCC,Bison,GDB,Emacs} Public Licenses.