Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?

From: Pete Chown
Subject: Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?
Date: 25 Sep 2008 11:03:05 GMT

amicus_curious wrote:

> Where would anyone be?  Makers of motion pictures, music, book,
> paintings, and any other creative work would be without means to derive
> some income from their creativity.  The vanity fair condition of OSS is
> just a distraction.

A few months ago, XenSource was bought by Citrix for $500M.  No doubt the
XenSource founders are thinking how much more money they could have made
if only they hadn't open-sourced Xen. ;-)

I don't understand why you have such a problem with free software.  You
don't think there is anything worthwhile there, so presumably you don't
use it, and so are very unlikely to find yourself infringing the licence.

I find it useful, and I've even written some, but I don't want to force
it on you if you don't like it.  You say that the "open source community"
is trying to get everyone using the same thing, but I think you're seeing
a conspiracy where there isn't one.  I'm not trying to get everyone using
the same thing, because why should I care?  I've got better things to do
than worry about someone on the other side of the world choosing to run
Windows.

Pete