Proprietary software impedes the progress of knowledge?

From: mike3
Subject: Proprietary software impedes the progress of knowledge?
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:31:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi.

I was thinking about it. Some "proprietary" programs no doubt contain
very powerful and clever algorithms for stuff. One time I heard
someone say that in some professional proprietary animation package
that "mathematical geniuses" were required for its creation, which
means no doubt that revolutionary or very impressive matheamtics migh
tbe in there. But it's kept locked up by proprietary business models.
Never mind that suck advances in mathematics could potentially do much
more -- stuff that actually helps people -- than just making pretty
pictures. This would seem to show just how wrong the proprietary model
is, doesn't it? Free as in freedom -- not as in price -- really does
matter, and for more than just the software's users.