NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 18 November 2008 Perl Seminar NY: Packy Anderson on P

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 18 November 2008 Perl Seminar NY: Packy Anderson on Perls 5 and 6, Mark Canlas on Lua
Date: 18 Nov 2008 15:01:05 -0500

  what="official Perl Seminar NY announcement"
  edits="some white space compressed">

 Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 11:33:28 -0800 (PST)
 From: James Keenan <jamesekeenan@yahoo.com>
 Subject: Perl Seminar NY Tues Nov 18
 To: ny@lists.pm.org

 Our monthly meeting at the usual time and place:

 Tues Nov 18 6:15 - 8:15 pm
 NYPC User Group
 481 8 Ave, Suite 550
 (Ramada New Yorker, West 34/35 Sts, Manhattan)

 "Perl 5 to Perl 6"
 First installment in a series (3-4 presentations) spread out over the
 entire 8-month season, on making the transition from Perl 5 to Perl 6.
 Series coordinated by Packy Anderson (main talk).

 "What is Lua and Why Should Perl Developers Care?" (by Mark Canlas)
 Lua, like Perl, is a high-level programming language. Like Perl 6,
 Python, TCL, etc., it is one of the languages being targeted for
 deployment on the Parrot virtual machine. So Perl programmers should
 learn about Lua so that we can learn how it might contribute to the
 solution of programming problems. We'll have a brief introduction to
 Lua, getting us to "Hello World" and describing some of Lua's major
 application areas. We'll then build Lua on Parrot and see if we can
 get to "Hello World" there as well (opening talk).