NYC LOCAL: Monday 24 November 2008 NYLUG: Sunny Dubey will Speak and Spi

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Monday 24 November 2008 NYLUG: Sunny Dubey will Speak and Spin
Date: 23 Nov 2008 10:54:20 -0500

  what="official NYLUG announcement"
  edits="">

 From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 09:30:02 -0500 (EST)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] TOMORROW! MONDAY, November 24 6:30-8PM Sunny Dubey
on The Linux DJ (Live Mix!)

 REMINDER: This meeting is tomorrow, RSVP closes TOMORROW
 Visit http://rsvp.nylug.org to see if RSVP is still open.

 *Monday*, November 24, 2008
 6:30pm-8:00 PM
 IBM
 590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
 corner of 57th Street

 ** RSVP Closes at 4:30pm the day of the meeting (sharp!) ***
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                              Sunny Dubey
                                 - on -
                        The Linux DJ (Live Mix!)

 Last time, it was all talk and no spin :(

 This time its all spin spin spin >:)

 Over the last 50 years DJing and its music has evolved from simple records
 to full blown PC-based setups.  Join us Monday November 24, as we discuss a
 wide variety of topics that encompass what every DJ knows, and what every
 Linux based DJ should know.  Sunny will demonstrate the tools of the trade
 that are used by simple wedding DJs to global DJs like Armin van Buuren.

 Part 1: The fundamentals of DJing
 Together we shall explore many concepts that are natural to DJs, and
 totally foreign to non-DJs.  Basic skills include: hardware setup, audience
 reading, music theory, track selection, music media formats, DJ mixer
 usage, cutting, mild-scratching, the various transitions, and beat mixing.
 Don't worry, we know this is much to soak in.  Everything shall be
 described with actual demonstrations in the next few parts.

 Part 2: The Linux PC only setup
 DJing no longer needs expensive hardware setups, and can be done entirely
 via software.  This is the simplest form of digital DJing, and yet one that
 lends itself to much creativity by the DJ in the booth.

 Part 3: Digital vinyl emulation under Linux
 (turntables, mixers ... the whole 9 yards!)
 It sounds crazy, but it is entirely possible to use "old school" tech like
 records and turntables with "new school" formats like MP3 and OGG-Vorbis.
 This combination of new and old is brilliant for it lets DJs use the
 hardware and techniques developed over decades while still spinning with
 the latest and greatest music out there.  The turntablism lives on under
 Linux!

 Part 4: Digital DJing hardware and Linux
 For many turntables are nothing more than a relic of the past.  Today there
 exists hardware made specifically for DJing via your Linux PC, while having
 billions of knobs, faders, and other "thingies" DJs have become accustomed
 to.  Amazingly, this hardware works under Linux and takes digital DJing to
 a whole new level!

 Part 5: Live Mix!
 All talk and no play is well .... boring!  Together we shall spin a set
 with a wide variety of music using the greatest operating system there ever
 was: Linux!

 More Information:
  * Mixx - Digital DJing on Linux
    http://www.mixxx.org

  * Xwax - Digital vinyl emulation on Linux
    http://www.xwax.co.uk

  * Rane - Digital DJing hardware + digital vinyl records
    http://www.rane.com/scratch.html

  * M-Audio - Digital DJing hardware interface
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/TorqXponent.html

  * Dance Records www.dancerecords.com - Online Dance Vinyl/CD/MP3 store (DRM
Free)
    http://www.dancerecords.com

  * DJ Downloads www.djdownload.com - Online Dance MP3 store (DRM Free)
    http://www.djdownload.com

  * Beat Port www.beatport.com - Online Dance MP3 store (DRM Free)
    http://www.beatport.com

 About Sunny Dubey:
   Sunny is a long time Linux user, DJ (trance, progressive, house),
   and has recently graduated NYU Polytechnic with a bachelor's in Business.

 Meeting Location:
   Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
   12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
   the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

 Map:
   http://nylug.org/mapofibm

 Books!!!
   Our friends at Prentice-Hall kindly provide us with review copies
   of various new titles.  One of these could be yours, all you have
   to do is agree to review the book within a reasonable period of
   time.

 Swag (Give Away):
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch:
   After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
   over at TGI Fridays located at 677 Lexington Avenue and 56th
   Street, second floor. Northeast corner.

 Python Workshops:
   We are rounding up a group that wants to learn Python.  This would
   be a great time to attend our workshop.

   The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
   Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
   Next meetings are December 9, followed by December 23.
   See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/pythoncalendar

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.