Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy

From: amicus_curious
Subject: Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:56:25 -0500

"Rjack" <user@example.net> wrote in message bumdnUH8Ov-23ebUnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@giganews.com">news:bumdnUH8Ov-23ebUnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@giganews.com...

With the advent of the Obama administration, it is generally
expected that the Justice Department and the FTC will become much
more aggressive in antitrust enforcement matters.

With Microsoft's OS share hovering around 90%,

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=8

how can Microsoft best subtly assist OSX and Linux in order to
avert antitrust prosecutions under the new administration that will
resemble those in the EU?

I think that the Obama administration is more likely to consider the adverse effect of such silly prosecution on the overall economy. Consider that Microsoft is a large company that generates more than 60B worth of revenue per year. Why would the Obama administration try to hold them in check? Why would they favor replacing that 60B company with a collection of open sourcerers who rely on trade in kind and are adverse to such levels of profits? Would destroying Microsoft help the economy? I don't think so and I doubt that Obama's advisors are going to recommend that course of action.

Microsoft has absorbed the EU fines with ease since their prices in the EU are significantly higher than elsewhere in the world. They will stay in the EU as long as it is profitable to do so and so far it has been.