Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy

From: ZnU
Subject: Re: Microsoft needs a help strategy
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:13:52 -0500

In article <4980a453$0$21838$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>,
 "amicus_curious" <ACDC@sti.net> wrote:

> "David Kastrup" <dak@gnu.org> wrote in message
> 85bptrnsam.fsf@lola.goethe.zz">news:85bptrnsam.fsf@lola.goethe.zz...
>

> > The recipient of GPLed software is free to declare the GPL void and
> > revert to default copyright rules.
> >
> What is at issue today, though, is the nature of such "default copyright
> rules".  If there is no fee charged to use the work or to redistribute the
> work, the copyright can be ignored unless the author can show some degree of
> harm to himself.

If we're talking about Party A redistributing Party B's unmodified GPL'd
work without making the source available, this may be true. But this is
trivial, since the source is available to anyone who wants it in this
instance from Party B. If a court found against the GPL in a case along
these lines, nothing substantial would change.

If we're talking about Party A modifying Party B's GPL'd work and
redistributing the modified software without making the source
available, it seems fairly clear that Party B *has* been harmed in this
transaction.

--
"What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them
‹ that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer