Re: Artifex v. Diebold: "The GPL is non-commercial!"

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Artifex v. Diebold: "The GPL is non-commercial!"
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:35:44 -0500

amicus_curious wrote:
That seems like the start of a cute trick. If I make a copy from a legitimate source, then it is a legitimate copy that I can give away.

Under copyright, you are not permitted to make copies.
The GPL grants you the right to make copies for conveying
only if you convey those copies as required by the GPL.

But nothing stops someone from conveying (many) copies
to you properly, say on two DVDs, one with source and
one with binaries, and then you giving out only the
binaries to others.