Re: [ROFL] GCC's GPLv3 "Updated License Exception"

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [ROFL] GCC's GPLv3 "Updated License Exception"
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 14:25:31 +0000 (UTC)

Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> Note that the copyright of executable files is invariably held to be held
>> by those who have copyright of the source files, not those who wrote the
>> compiler.

> An interesting aside is that the source and executable forms of a
> computer program do not have separate copyrights. They are considered
> to be the same work for copyright purposes.

That sounds, .... er complicated!  You mean, if you validly hold an
executable copy of a (non-free) program, and you "somehow" get hold of
the source for it, then you're entitled to keep that source code.

Are you sure, on this one?  I mean, this doesn't apply to book
translation.  If a publisher is authorised to publish an edition of a
book written in English, that wouldn't give him any rights to publish
somebody else's German translation.

Sorry, I can't work this out!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).