Re: [ROFL] GCC's GPLv3 "Updated License Exception"

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: [ROFL] GCC's GPLv3 "Updated License Exception"
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 13:19:38 -0500

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
If I write foo.c and compile it to foo.o, I don't think there are pieces
there.  I then link it with a few other files and it becomes the
executable foo.  The only bits in there which aren't my copyright are
analogues of the book's cover and printing.

That's not correct. The executable foo may contain pieces
(or the entirety, even) of works whose copyright is owned
by someone other than you. Some of them may be requested
by you as part of the link process, and some of them may
be placed there automatically by the linker without your
specific request.

Your "book printing" analogy is apt; the cover art will
generally be covered by a copyright owned by someone other
than the book author.