Re: Revisionist Open Source

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Revisionist Open Source
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:51:14 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> It is also fair to point out that the Open Sourcerers and Freedom
> people work together without (much) friction, since the core effort to
> implement these philosophies is the same, namely writing good
> software.  For example, ESR has recently contributed to Emacs.

I think ESR has a healthy respect for RMS' hacking of both code and
licenses.  I think that where he considers him lacking would be in the
department of selling his output to a larger audience.

And even then, I seem to remember that he admitted that his own efforts
were in some manner overoptimistic with regard to the actual uptake and
effects.  Probably as one consequence he seems to have become quite less
outspoken about the clash of philosophies than he once was.

The optimist thinks that he lives in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist knows it.

--
David Kastrup