Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: Rahul Dhesi
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 03:34:54 +0000 (UTC)

"amicus_curious" <ACDC@sti.net> writes:

>> The CAFC has ruled that these requirements are not meaningless.
>> --
>They suggested that the requirements were not meaningless to the
>copyright holders who get a thrill out of seeing their name in print,
>but that is meaningless to me.  I think that it speaks ill of those
>egomaniacs who want to create such a ruckus just so that the world
>might see how smart they are.  Pathetic.

Perhaps you haven't read what the CAFC wrote. Here is a fragment.

  Through this controlled spread of information, the copyright holder
  gains creative collaborators to the open source project; by requiring
  that changes made by downstream users be visible to the copyright
  holder and others, the copyright holder learns about the uses for his
  software and gains others' knowledge that can be used to advance
  future software releases.

Please read the whole thing -- it's online at
<http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/opinions/08-1001.pdf>.
--
Rahul
http://rahul.rahul.net/