Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: Rjack
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 06:10:58 -0500

Rahul Dhesi wrote:
Rjack <user@example.net> writes:

I don't suggest that enforcement itself is the problem, it
 is the enforcement of meaningless requirements....
The CAFC has ruled that these requirements are not meaningless.

The CAFC opinion is advisory only and contrary to other circuits (including its own precedent) and California contract
 law. The District Court politely circumvented the holding and
denied the requested injunction against Katzer on other grounds.

There are four problems in your analysis. Maybe more, I may have
 lost count.

"The CAFC opinion is advisory only"...Ugh, no. The constitution prohibits the federal courts from issuing advisory opinions.

"..Contrary to other circuits and California contract law". This
 is just your opinion unsupported by any citations. But even if
it were true, it would not matter, because the CAFC is not bound
by the other circuits or by California.

"The District Court politely circumvented the holding and denied
 the requested injunction against Katzer on other grounds."  Two
 problems here.  First, what a district court does doesn't change
 the law as established by the CAFC.

As has been repeatedly pointed out Rahul, the CAFC in it's own words
while sitting enbanc, has declared its own rulings in non-patent
cases do not bind the District Courts:

"[In} Bandag, Inc. v. Al Bolser's Tire Stores, Inc., 750 F.2d 903,