Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: amicus_curious
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 20:03:47 -0500

"Thufir Hawat" <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote in message news:T9jol.24565$uG1.12811@newsfe16.iad...
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:14:47 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

"Thufir Hawat" <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 17:39:24 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:

The FOSS value proposition is that if you use it, fine, and if you
modify it and distribute it you must disclose your modifications.

Who says?

Do you have some other interpretation?  It would be useful for you to
state it.

It's not that if you *modify and distribute* it that you must disclose
your modifications, but that if you *distribute* you must disclose the
source, at least for the GPL.

You seem to be fixated on the text of the GPL. I don't disagree with what it says. I disagree with the notion that it has any practical value. It is just an ego trip for the author to see his stuff scattered around the internet. It doesn't help a soul, just gives the author a thrill. The author, of course, could get some help from a psychiatrist and the whole issue could be put to bed.