Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: amicus_curious
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:24:50 -0500

"Ben Pfaff" <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote in message 87iqn153fs.fsf@blp.benpfaff.org">news:87iqn153fs.fsf@blp.benpfaff.org...
"amicus_curious" <ACDC@sti.net> writes:

"Ben Pfaff" <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote in message
87myce5s72.fsf@blp.benpfaff.org">news:87myce5s72.fsf@blp.benpfaff.org...
"amicus_curious" <ACDC@sti.net> writes:

No one takes apart complex applications in order to change
them, there is no value in having all those restrictions as
posed by the GPL.

What a bizarre, incorrect claim!  I spend a lot of time taking
apart complex applications in order to change them.  The Linux
kernel is one example of a complex application that I spend a lot
of time hacking.
--
Perhaps you do, but the other 10,000 people nearest you do not.

The half-a-dozen people who sit nearest to me at my office can,
and sometimes do.

My point is that your assertion that "no one" does these things
is egregiously ill-informed, and I think that I have made that
point.

Would you believe "next to no one" then? If Actiontec were to sell a million routers to Verizon and Verizon shipped them to a million of their customers, how many would ever be interested in the source? My belief is that number is either zero or close to it.

Are you one of the kernel developers?  It is hard to interpret
the Google information around your name.

I doubt any of the kernel developers would recognize my name.
I've made a few small kernel contributions, but none recently.

I've been doing a lot of Linux kernel work in at the office.
We haven't yet tried to contribute it upstream.  Perhaps later
this year.
--
That is extremely unusual, you will have to admit, but, even so, where do your get your Linux source? From Actiontec or some other company using Linux and complying with the GPL distribution requirements or directly from Linus' project site?