Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:20:51 +0100

Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> writes:

> amicus_curious wrote:
>> The FSF is a whole different issue.  Here we are talking about the
>> two fellas who authored BusyBox.  Did you come in late?
>
> Unless you have evidence to the contrary, the logical
> assumption is that people who adopt a license with
> ideological underpinnings share the goals of the creator
> of the license.

No, that's not a valid assumption.  They see their own goals met (or met
most closely) by picking this license over the alternatives.  Those
goals certainly need not match the goals or ideology of the license
authors.

If you take a look at Richard Stallman's personal side, you'll find a
_lot_ of political goals and views which have found no reflection at all
in either FSF or GPL.

--
David Kastrup