Re: Matt Assay Tells the Truth

From: Rjack
Subject: Re: Matt Assay Tells the Truth
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:17:09 -0500

Hyman Rosen wrote:
Rjack wrote:
The X window system X10R3 was released in the spring of *1986*
under the MIT license.

The GPLv1 wasn't written until February 1989. Richard Stallman
was there at MIT during the years 1986 - 1989 during which time
he decided to hijack the MIT license.

Ironic that you should mention X Window, since it illustrates why
software should be under the GPL. For a few months, before community pressure foiled the plan, the X Consortium and the Open
Group tried to make X Window proprietary.

See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/x.html>.

For a few months, before community pressure foiled the plan, the X
Consortium and the Open Group tried to make X Window proprietary.

Egad!! I thought *freedom* for software developers meant licensing
their software any way they wished. I didn't know it was the GPL or
the highway.

Your link to the self-serving rant by Richard Stallman does nothing
but confirm his monomanical compulsion to destroy the concept of
intellectual property.

Sincerely,
Rjack :)