Re: Microsoft going after Linux?

From: Andrew Halliwell
Subject: Re: Microsoft going after Linux?
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 00:33:24 +0000

Doctor Smith <iaintgotnostinkinemail@ols.net> wrote:
> Add new voices.
> Map corrections.
> Change/add the themes.
> Community submitted items.
> Add Points of Interest.
> Plan routes on the computer.
> Back up the unit.
> Use the unit from the computer.
> etc..
>
> HOWEVER............
>
> All of these uses software that runs under Windows and Mac only.
>
> No Linux versions.
>
> So if you are running Linux, the best you can do is back the unit up by
> copying the file system.

Updating the map, adding voices, updating the firmware etc are all possible
without using the windows software.

And it does run on wine (partially), backup works, firmware update doesn't
but that doesn't matter cos it's just a matter of downloading and copying a
couple of files to the tomtom. I've not tried the community stuff or adding
PoI.
--
|   spike1@freenet.co.uk   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   |  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |