Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 10:29:19 -0500

amicus_curious wrote:
What difference would it make if they were somehow linked
> behind the scenes to some server owned by another company.

Verizon must honor the terms of the GPL only if it takes
actions permitted by the GPL but otherwise forbidden by
copyright law. I believe that the details of who owns the
storage and how the file is transmitted matter as to whether
this is the case.

> Do you seriously believe that is the case?

It is a reasonable explanation of why the SFLC dismissed its
case against Verizon, made more plausible by the "actiontec
gateway" part of the URL.

> It would be very unusual for Verizon to have back office
> direct connections to Actiontec.

And you know this how?