Re: [!NEWS] The GNUtards Must Be Crazy

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: [!NEWS] The GNUtards Must Be Crazy
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:52:13 +0100

Rjack wrote:

[... uscourts.gov/dc/opinions/saris/pdf/progress%20software.pdf ...]

> I have read the decision many times and the judge made *no* attempt

The FSF was not happy with Judge Saris.

Here's free advice right from the "GPL Compliance Lab" (my what a bunch
of pompous lunatics):

http://www.novalis.org/talks/lsm-talk-2004/slide-31.html

<quote copyright=Free Software Foundation, 2004>

Don't go to court

 FSF hasn't.
 Court is expensive
 Judges don't understand technology
   "Is static linking like two icons on one desktop?"
       -Judge Saris, MySQL v. Nusphere oral argument

</quote>

Translation: the FSF doesn't really believe that they could fool a judge
into buying (hint: the GPL lost miserably in MySQL v. Nusphere/Progress)

http://web.novalis.org/talks/compliance-for-developers/slide-49.html

[begin textual copying copyright=Free Software Foundation]

July 27, 2004 GPL Compliance for Software Developers Legal notes

Legal notes

Static linking creates a derivative work through textual copying

Most dynamic linking cases involve distributing the library

Still a derivative work:

Dynamic linking

Distributing only the executable (testtriangle)

Still a derivative work:

Distributing the source code of software which links to a library

[end textual copying]

GNU-ish "legal notes" idiocy.

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)