Re: [!NEWS] The GNUtards Must Be Crazy

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: [!NEWS] The GNUtards Must Be Crazy
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:36:28 -0400

Rjack wrote:
http://floridalawfirm.com/procdinc.html
    Whether there are legal differences between "contracts"
    and "licenses" (which may matter under the copyright
    doctrine of first sale) is a subject for another day.

Good. So we here that a court has said that there may be
differences between licenses and contracts. Thanks for
that quote - I'm sure I'll be repeating it back to you in
the future.

> But whether a particular license is generous or restrictive, a
> simple two-party contract is not"equivalent to any of the exclusive
> rights within the general scope of copyright" and therefore may be
> enforced.

Most excellent. The GPL exists as a license between the rights
holder and the potential distributor. Thanks again for the
helpful quotations, which demonstrate that the GPL is enforceable.