Re: IBM doesn't like the GPL

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: IBM doesn't like the GPL
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:42:59 +0100

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Rjack wrote:
>  > the FSF propaganda campaign is falling flat on its ass
>
> On the contrary, the campaign successfully led to Sun
> releasing Java under the GPL,

Putting SUN's stock price into free fall, bringing massive layoffs, and
fire sale of the company.

GNU's made a great job at SUN.

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=41578

"Eben Moglen, general counsel for the FSF and founder and chairman of
the Software Freedom Law Center, said Sun's announcement is one of the
key moments in the software industry's movement away from proprietary
software to free software.

“Sun is making a policy decision, which I think is unquestionably real,”
said Moglen, who is a professor of law and legal history at Columbia
University Law School. “It has profound effects for the industry.”

The fact that Sun's Java technology runs on over 3.8 billion devices
worldwide compounds the impact of Sun's decision, Moglen said.

“Java is a language crucial to the expression of computer technology
from everything from cell phones to handheld appliances to mainframes,”
he said. “Sun Microsystems' decision to put all of its Java technology
under a ‘copyleft' licence means that the copy left commons has had an
enormous accession of value and significance.”"

> where it will now reside

If IBM acquires SUN you can be assured that open sourced version of Java
will end up as either eclipse or apache project with its license changed
away from the GPL pretty soon.

Buh-bye GPL'd Java.

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)