Re: IBM doesn't like the GPL

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: IBM doesn't like the GPL
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 00:56:33 +0100

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > Go to doctor, Hyman.
>
> Instead, we will go once more to the involved parties:
>
>      <http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#GPL>
>
>      Is the Apache license compatible with the GPL (GNU Public License)?
>      From the Free Software Foundation website:
>      <http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/#SoftwareLicenses>

They are merely quoting the FSF's FAQ to ease the mind of brainwashed
people like you, Hyman.

Did you note

"Please note that this license is not compatible with GPL version 2"

quote from the FSF?

<chuckles>

The concept of the GPL "compatibility" worries only GNUtians.

>      Apache License, Version 2.0
>          This is a free software license, compatible with version 3 of
>          the GPL. Please note that this license is not compatible with
>          GPL version 2, because it has some requirements that are not
>          in the older version. These include certain patent termination
>          and indemnification provisions.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

"The Free Software Foundation considers the Apache License, Version 2.0
to be a free software license, compatible with version 3 of the GPL.

Despite our best efforts, the FSF has never considered the Apache
License to be compatible with GPL version 2, citing the patent
termination and indemnification provisions as restrictions not present
in the older GPL license. The Apache Software Foundation believes that
you should always try to obey the constraints expressed by the copyright
holder when redistributing their work.

No, we don't have any patents

The Apache Software Foundation is a nonprofit organization that is
dedicated to open source software development. We never knowingly
incorporate patented technology in our own products unless such
technology has been offered free for everyone.

Please note that this discussion only benefits third parties that
produce GPL-covered products. The Apache Software Foundation does not
allow its own projects to distribute software under licenses more
restrictive than the Apache License, and the Free Software Foundation
does not distribute software under the Apache License.

The ASF will not dual-license our software because such licenses make it
impossible to determine the conditions under which we have agreed to
collaborate on a collective product, and are thus contrary to the Apache
spirit of open, collaborative development among individuals, industry,
and nonprofit organizations."

LOL.

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)