Re: Tom Tom and Microsofts Linux patent lock-down ..

From: Rahul Dhesi
Subject: Re: Tom Tom and Microsofts Linux patent lock-down ..
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:03:56 +0000 (UTC)

Rjack <user@example.net> writes:

>DE FOREST RADIO TEL. CO. V. UNITED STATES, 273 U. S. 236 (1927)
>Jacob Maxwell Inc., v. Veeck, 110 F.3d 749 (11th Cir. 1997).
>...Seventh Circuit's ruling:

Rjack, you seem to be trying to learn and argue basic concepts of
contract law by reading and quoting federal cases.  The federal courts,
including the US Supreme Court, may sometimes apply state contract law,
but they do define or develop it and they do not establish the meanings
of common-law terms.  For all that they must defer to the state courts.

I think you should to go back to state law, and focus on that for a
while, and study the basic concepts. And the next few cases you quote to
make your contract-law-based arguments ought to be state cases, not
federal cases.
--
Rahul
http://rahul.rahul.net/