Re: Tom Tom and Microsofts Linux patent lock-down ..

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Tom Tom and Microsofts Linux patent lock-down ..
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:21:10 -0400

Rjack wrote:
do not desire for the GPL to be legally interpreted under contract law.

I realize that you do not desire that the GPL work as written,
but if you think 1927 patent decisions are going to affect the
plain meaning and enforcement of open licenses, you're sadly
mistaken. We see that from the MySQL/Nusphere case and from
the CAFC model railroad appeal. We see that from defendants
invariably choosing to settle and comply with the GPL rather
than claim the ability to copy and distribute code in defiance
of copyright law.

You may spin and twist, twist and spin, but the GPL will continue
to work just as its visionary author intended, and as all industry
behaves, for GNU/Linux, for GCC, for Mozilla, and for so much more.