Re: Red Hat on patent FUD

From: Roy Schestowitz
Subject: Re: Red Hat on patent FUD
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:33:41 +0000

____/ ml2mst on Saturday 21 March 2009 10:34 : \____

http://www.press.redhat.com/2009/03/17/discouraging-software-patent-lawsuits/

>> It's not really FUD.
>>
>> The former head of the FFII is sure to publicise information which suggests
>> that Red Hat is not or was not serious about ending software patents. People
>> should not let them off the hook so easily.
>
> I enjoyed Pieter's comments on BN, but I am pretty confused here. What
> does it mean, is Redhat becoming another patent troll or am I
> misinterpreting this?

No, but it just doesn't do enough to combat swpats. In some ways, it adds to
the problem.

> What I recently learned from BN and especially Pieter Hintjens is that
> we (Europeans) are in trouble. The software patent lobby (of course led
> by the Evil empire of MICROS~666) is marching on and nobody pays
> attention and that the FFII has become corrupt (pretty much like ISO).
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Corrupt? No, it's just a lot less active.

> I have signed a petition against the legalization of software patents in
> Europe several times, but it is not working to well, is it?

Nokia/Symbian caused damage.

> So what I am asking of you, my fellow Europeans is to stay allert and
> fight software patents as much as we can.
>
> It is a fact that we, Europeans copy most of Americans behavior,
> unfortunately we are starting to copy their stupidity as well more and
> more. Please don't let it happen.

DMCA...

> NO SOFTWARE PATENTS IN EUROPE!
>
> SweatyB (the übermaroon) can scream all he wants.
>
> Have a nice weekend ;-)
>
> Cheers, Mart

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

"Monopoly raises two classes of problems for a free society. First, the
existence of monopoly means a limitation on voluntary exchange through a
reduction in the alternatives available to individuals. Second, the existence
of monopoly raises the issue of “social responsibility”, as it has come to be
called, of the monopolist."
                --Milton Friedman