NYC LOCAL: Thursday 26 March 2009 NYLUG: Ira Hyman on the Search for the

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Thursday 26 March 2009 NYLUG: Ira Hyman on the Search for the Ultimate Linux Distro
Date: 22 Mar 2009 18:59:06 -0400

  what="official NYLUG announcement"
  edits="">

 From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:30:01 -0400 (EDT)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] NYLUG Mar 26 Meeting: Ira Hyman on The Search for
the Ultimate Linux Distro

 Thursday, March 26, 2009
 6:30pm-8:00 PM
 IBM
 590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
 corner of 57th Street

 ** RSVP Closes at 4:30pm the day of the meeting (sharp!) ***
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                               Ira Hyman
                                - on  -
               The Search for The Ultimate Linux Distro

 Please join us Thursday, March 26th 2009 when NYLUG welcomes back
 Ira Hyman, Director of the LinuxLoft.com development team and a long-time
 member of the New York Linux Users Group, to speak at our regular monthly
 meeting.  Ira spoke at our March 2008 and March 2007 meetings, so it's no
 coincidence that his latest thoughts will be tapped again this year.  If
 you attended either of his previous talks on PCLinuxOS or Open Source
 Multimedia you will enjoy his insights from a recent deep dive with the
 Fedora Linux distribution.

 Fedora is an RPM-based, general purpose operating system built on top of
 the Linux kernel.  Primarily developed by the community-supported Fedora
 Project, it is sponsored by Red Hat, Inc. and comprises the core
 technology of the commercially supported Red Hat Enterprise Linux (a.k.a.
 "RHEL") operating system. Roughly every third version of Fedora forms the
 basis of a new version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

 For example,

  * Fedora Core 3 --> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
  * Fedora Core 6 --> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
  * Fedora 10 / Fedora 11 --> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
                              (planned for release in 2010)

 If you have a question, comment or criticism about Linux distributions,
 this is the meeting to attend.  In addition to Fedora, Ira has installed,
 tested and reviewed dozens of distros including various Linux appliances.

 In this meeting, Ira will explore the best features from a variety of
 Linux distributions and attempt to aggregrate them into the Ultimate Linux
 Distro - a business concept and no holds barred discussion about what most
 Linux users need, want and are buying today.  Imagine fantasy football for
 the studious geek.  If you know of a great app, plug-in or key feature
 that we all would benefit from, come on down and join what will surely be
 a vigorous dialogue.

 More Information:

     * The Fedora Project
       http://fedoraproject.org/

     * Red Hat Enterprise Linux
       http://www.redhat.com/rhel

     * Red Hat
       http://www.redhat.com/

     * LinuxLoft.com
       http://www.linuxloft.com/

 About Ira Hyman:
   Ira Hyman is the Director of the LinuxLoft.com development team, a
   longtime NYLUG member and believes in the power of Linux and FOSS to
   change the way we live for the better.

 Meeting Location:
   Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
   12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
   the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

 Map:
   http://nylug.org/mapofibm

 Books!!!
   Our friends at Prentice-Hall kindly provide us with review copies
   of various new titles.  One of these could be yours, all you have
   to do is agree to review the book within a reasonable period of
   time.

 Swag (Give Away):
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch:
   After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
   over at TGI Fridays located at 677 Lexington Avenue and 56th
   Street, second floor. Northeast corner.

 Python Workshops:
   We are rounding up a group that wants to learn Python.  This would
   be a great time to attend our workshop.

   The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
   Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
   Next meetings are March 31, followed by April 14.
   See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/pythoncalendar

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.