Re: Eric Raymond: We don't need the GPL

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Eric Raymond: We don't need the GPL
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:07:50 -0400

Rjack wrote:
"The question I found myself asking is: if the market punished
people for taking open source closed, then why do our licenses need
to punish people for taking open source closed?

The speaker is being disingenuous. Whatever effects the market has,
they are long-term and imprecise. Free software licenses which prevent
others from denying users freedom exist in order to make sure that
users are not denied their freedom in every instance and right now.