Re: More FSF hypocrisy

From: JEDIDIAH
Subject: Re: More FSF hypocrisy
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:59:03 -0500

On 2009-03-23, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> which is commercial, so the comparison fails there.
>>
>> Read the Grokfud link:
>>
>> [ Update: Ray Beckerman sends a correction. He says the reasoning of the
>> four cases and two law review articles and the brief is equally
>> applicable to commercial copyright infringement defendants.]"
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20090321164736122
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Rjack
>
> " So it's more support for the concept of proportionality and asking the
> court to consider the Constitutionality of statutory damages in copyright
> cases involving noncommercial individuals."
>
> -from the above link.
>
> *cases involving noncommercial individuals*.  Is cisco such an
> individual?

...even in Pirate culture there is a distinction made between piracy
for personal use and piracy for commercial gain. Of course this is a
line that has been blurred in recent changes to the law. It's a
distinction that used to be there and quite plain in the law. It has
been eroded at the request of media monopolists.

--
        On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

        When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were        |||
        meant to be computationally convenient rather than just     / | \
        arbitrarily assigned.