Re: Eric Raymond: We don't need the GPL

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Eric Raymond: We don't need the GPL
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 15:01:48 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Rjack <user@example.net> wrote:

[ostensibly quoting Eric Raymond]:
> "The question I found myself asking is: if the market punished
> people for taking opensource closed, then why do our licenses need
> to punish people for taking open sourceclosed? That is why I don't
> think you really need GPL or a reciprocal licenses anymore

He's being disingenuous.  The GPL isn't primarily about open source,
it's about free software.  So where the writer might be right about not
needing the GPL for what's nebulously called "open source", it's most
definitely needed for free software.  Free software is about more than
"the market".

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).