Re: reinvent (for GPL) code u wrote for employer who owns it?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: reinvent (for GPL) code u wrote for employer who owns it?
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 11:19:41 +0100

"Barry Margolin" <barmar@alum.mit.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag barmar-A2941C.21232725032009@mara100-84.onlink.net">news:barmar-A2941C.21232725032009@mara100-84.onlink.net...
In article <49C8C151.5C3D7E0A@web.de>,
Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

Rjack wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> > In article <731831868.575118@irys.nyx.net>,
> >  anonb6e9@nyx3.nyx.net (Name withheld by request) wrote:
> >
> >> How might one ethically/legally re-write a suite of scripts one > >> wrote
> >> for a former employer, so that the new code may be shared under GPL?
> >
> > IANAL, but I think this is likely to be difficult. You have to > > ensure
> > that your new code looks nothing like the old code.

http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise27.html

"One way to avoid infringement when writing a program that is similar to
another program is through the use of a "clean room" procedure. This is
what was done when companies cloned the BIOS of the IBM personal
computer to produce compatible systems. In a clean room procedure, there
are two separate teams working on the development of the new program.

How can you use the clean room procedure when the original programmer is
writing the new program?  There are no teams, there's just one guy.

What? Other GNUtians can't help that one guy? Shame on you, GNUtians.

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)