Re: More FSF hypocrisy

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: More FSF hypocrisy
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:28:09 +0100

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> Rjack wrote:
> > Fact: Just because contractual agreements are voluntary doesn't make
> > any illegal terms in those agreements enforceable.
>
> Fact: The GPL contains no illegal terms.

Hey Hyman, you've previosly linked to

http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/cases/15PQ2D1846.htm

(quoting)

"The question is not whether the copyright is being used in a manner
violative of antitrust law (such as whether the licensing agreement is
“reasonable”), but whether the copyright is being used in a manner
violative of the public policy embodied in the grant of a copyright."

"violative of the public policy embodied in the grant of a copyright."

"violative of the public policy embodied in the grant of a copyright."

"violative of the public policy embodied in the grant of a copyright."

Now,

<quote author=The GNU President>

In the GNU Project, discrimination against proprietary software is
not just a policy -- it's the principle and the purpose. Proprietary
software is fundamentally unjust and wrong, so when we have the
opportunity to place it at a disadvantage, that is a good thing.

</quote>

Would an objective person find the GNU's stated intent "violative of the
public policy embodied in the grant of a copyright" or not, Hyman?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectivity_(philosophy)

"To be objective is to adhere strictly to truth-conducive methods in
one's thinking, particularly, to take into account all available
information, and to avoid any form of prejudice, bias, or wishful
thinking. The forms of observation and experimentation, and the canons
of deductive reasoning and inductive reasoning employed by scientists
practicing the verification guide scientists to be objective."

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)