Re: More FSF hypocrisy

From: Rjack
Subject: Re: More FSF hypocrisy
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:18:16 -0400

Hyman Rosen wrote:
Rjack wrote:
What do you think "authorizes the making and distribution of
copies" is called in legal terms? It is called "waiving their
exclusive rights".

If you mean in exactly the same sense that an author waives his
exclusive rights when he allows a publisher to print and sell his
books, fine.

Words have connotations. You are using "waive" to imply that the
copyright holders are relinquishing rights to their work. I am
using "authorize" to emphasize that they are doing no such thing.

The authors are relenquishing their rights within contractual
privity a concept which I know totally evades your understanding.