Re: Microsoft and TomTom settle

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Microsoft and TomTom settle
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:21:30 +0200

Rjack wrote:

> 7 wrote:
> > Rjack the stupid 1 wrote:
> >
> >> "Microsoft and TomTom have settled their controversial patent
> >> dispute, which included allegations that the Linux kernel infringes
> >> on Microsoft's filesystem patents. TomTom has licensed the patents
> >> from Microsoft, but intends to remove from its Linux kernel the code
> >> that is covered by the patents."
> >>
> >> http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03
> > microsoft-and-tomtom-settle-patent-dispute.ars
> >

> > That is one of the fastest settlements I have seen for a big corp.
> > Usually propellor heads will rachet up the ante all day and all
> > night for years before making a move.
> >
> > I wonder what forced micoshaft to change their mind?
>
> Even a turd head like you is capable reading the rest of
> referenced article:
>
> "TomTom has paid to license Microsoft's patents, including those
> covering FAT."
>
> http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/microsoft-and-tomtom-settle-patent-dispute.ars

SFLC's spin-doctoring:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2009/mar/30/settled-not-over-yet/

------
March 30, 2009

Settled, But Not Over Yet

Today's settlement between Microsoft and TomTom ends one phase of the
community's response to Microsoft patent aggression, and begins another.
On the basis of the information we have, we have no reason to believe
that TomTom's settlement agreement with Microsoft violates the license
on the kernel, Linux, or any other free software used in its products.
The settlement neither implies that Microsoft patents are valid nor that
TomTom's products were or are infringing.

The FAT filesystem patents on which Microsoft sued are now and have
always been invalid patents in our professional opinion. SFLC remains
committed to protecting the interests of our clients and the community.
We will act forcefully to protect all users and developers of free
software against further intimidation or interference from these
patents.

SFLC, working with the Open Invention Network and the Linux Foundation,
is pleased to participate in a coordinated, carefully graduated response
on behalf of all the community's members to ongoing anti-competitive
Microsoft conduct. We believe in strength through unity, and we think
our community's unity in the face of these threats has helped to bring
about Microsoft's quick settlement on all issues with TomTom.
------

<chuckles>

Red Hat's "Legal Team":

------
Comment on TomTom-Microsoft Settlement

by Legal Team

Red Hat was not a party to this case. Even so, without a judicial
decision, the settlement does not demonstrate that the claims of
Microsoft were valid. Patent litigation is a difficult process, and
there are many reasons besides the merits of the case that a defendant
such as TomTom might have chosen to settle in the present economic
environment. As the terms of the settlement license have not, to our
knowledge, been made public, it is not possible to comment on their
compliance with open source requirements and principles.

This entry was posted by Legal Team on Monday, March 30th, 2009 at 2:58
pm and is filed under IP. You can follow any responses to this entry
through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.
------

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)