Re: The GPL means what you want it to mean

From: SomeBloke
Subject: Re: The GPL means what you want it to mean
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:16:24 -0500

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 08:00:34 -0400, Rjack wrote:

> Don't like the GPLv3's provisions? Just issue an exception to its terms
> when convenient!
>
> "I wanted to note that the FSF has just released an exception (the
> first?) to GPL3 under Section 7 (that allows "additional permissions" to
> negate other terms of the GPL3) that is quite interesting in this
> context."
> http://lwn.net/Articles/326854/rss
>
> If you write a new law and subsequently don't like it then just announce
> it doesn't *really* mean what says it means. ROFL.
>
> "Developing nonfree software is not good for society, and we have no
> obligation to make it easier. We decided to permit this because
> forbidding it seemed likely to backfire, and because using small
> libraries to limit the use of GCC seemed like the tail wagging the dog."
> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gcc-exception-faq.html
>
> The GPLv3 has 5645 words when you include the "How to apply..."
> addendum. If that weren't confusing enough, you may now go out into the
> cyberworld and find what new exceptions the Masters of the Universe have
> added -- before they sue you in federal court in New York for violation
> of their 5645 word copyright contract that doesn't mean what they said
> it means. ROFL.
>
> Sincerely,
> Rjack :)

Why should I care what the Federal court in New York decides when I live
3300 miles away across the Atlantic?

There is also the point that the GPLv3 is not the be all and end all of
the license. You can mix and match licenses depending on the source of
the libraries and/or purpose.

It looks to me that the exception to the GPLv3 license as it applies to
the GNU GCC compiler allows for altered licensing in respect of
proprietary modules used overall within an application.

But then I am not a lawyer so take the above with a large pinch of salt!
If I'm wrong I'm sure that someone will correct me!

--
I'm always kind, polite and reasonable....  except when I'm not.