Re: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 15 April 2009 NYLUG: Jon Stanley on Rolling You

From: Doctor Smith
Subject: Re: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 15 April 2009 NYLUG: Jon Stanley on Rolling Your Own Linux With Fedora
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 12:17:18 -0400

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:04:55 +0000 (UTC), Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> In gnu.misc.discuss Doctor Smith <iaintgotnostinkinemail@ols.net> wrote:

>>> I find them perfectly readable - they have an optimal line width of ~70
>>> characters, there's a single line gap between paragraphs, and they aren't
>>> right justified, hence giving the eye something to grip onto.  This has
>>> been standard Usenet formatting since there was Usenet.
>
>>> It could be you're using inappropriate software to read it with - you
>>> should configure your software to display posts in an easily readable
>>> fashion (whatever that means for you), and if you can't do this, start
>>> using some decent software with which you can.  What are you using, by
>>> the way?
>
>> Typical Linux, blame the user, the reader etc.
>> You *nix high priests have to get with the program.
>
> Oh, I see, you want to hurl abuse at somebody.  Well, fair enough!

It's not abuse, it's the truth.

>> FWIW it doesn't matter what reader is used.
>
> Really?  Maybe it matters more who the reader is.

Yea.
Geeks love that code block sort of CRAP..

>> It's the carp you insert at the start of these messages.
>
> I didn't insert any goldfish whatsoever.

Classic.
You have no idea, but you actually made a funny.

>> Here it is copied right off Google:

>>  what="official announcement of Russ Nelson talk and OpenStreetMap party"
>>  note="The Courant Institute is associated with NYU, not Columbia
>> University."
>>  info="for Thursday 16 April 2009 talk at Courant:
>>        http://cs.nyu.edu/~macsweb";
>>  edits="">
>
> Oh, I see.  Yeah, it isn't that brilliant, is it?  It looks like the
> input to some sort of scripting program which produces the announcement,
> and it's left trash in the posting.  I'll admit I didn't notice it first
> time.  But the message, as a whole, was readable.

It looks like crap..

> You'd be doing everybody a favour if you sent an email to the author,
> asking him to fix his script.  A polite email, that is.  I just wish he'd
> stop spamming the newsgroup.

It's not SPAM.
I never said that it was.

In fact, it's probably more on topic in COLA that most of the garbage that
Roy Schestowitz spews this way each day.

Hey, maybe you could ask Roy Schestowitz to speak at one of your meetings?

He is a real "dynamic speaker" and will certainly keep you on the edge of
your seats.
He also knows a lot about Linux.
A legend in his own mind this Roy Schestowitz.

Here, listen for yourself:

http://www.linux.com/feature/122470

He's the first "expert" to talk.