Re: Calling GPL'd program from a proprietory software

From: Rjack
Subject: Re: Calling GPL'd program from a proprietory software
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 07:36:25 -0400

nitin gupta wrote:
Hi,

From one of my educational softwares am calling a GPL'd program through a shell script of my source code.But, am not sure whether i
 too need to release my software code under GPL.

1) My Program don't static/dynamic link to GPL code i.e i don't compile my software against the GPL'd software. 2) I don't distribute the GPL'd software.It have to be downloaded and installed separately by end user. 3) My program runs a script which
finds GPL software's installation path and updates its path in some
of my other configuration scripts. 4) My program communicates to
GPL'd program using files.My program creates a input text file and
invokes GPL'd software. GPL'd software outputs another result text
file.My program parses result file and shows formatted result in my
program GUI window.Thus, only thing my program knows about GPL'd
program is the formats of it's input/output files formats.

Do you think i can release my program closed-source and charge a
fee for it ? Or do i still need to release my program under GPL ?
Please guide.

Regards, Nitin

The Free Software Foundation and the SFLC are predisposed to sue just
about anyone who they perceive as violating their three thousand word
GPL Bible. Avoid any GPL licensed software and use true open source
code licensed under the BSD, Apache or Ms-PL other free licenses.

Sincerely,
Rjack :)