Re: Cisco v FSF dismissed

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Cisco v FSF dismissed
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 22:45:42 +0200

Sonny! Uncle Hasler has spoken!

John Hasler wrote:

> So they settled out of court (you tell this from the fact that both parties
> consented to the dismissal).

Why would Cisco *NOT* consent to the dismissal of a lawsuit against
Cisco with prejudice? What "settlement" are you talking about? Please
provide the details.

Hint:

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/06/verizon-ceo-doesnt-know-about.html

------
Verizon CEO doesn't know about open source
By Sean Michael Kerner on June 18, 2008 1:37 PM

>From the 'not everyone knows about open source yet' files:

LAS VEGAS -- I just got out of a Q&A session with Verizon Communications
CEO Denny Strigl and being an open source guy I asked Strigl about open
source. Specifically I asked what role does open source play at Verizon
now, especially in light of the recent SFLC lawsuit against Verizon on
GPL infringement.

Strigl looked at me with a blank face and asked me to repeat my
question. He was completely clueless.

He then asked one of his PR people to answer, and they too were
clueless.

In December of 2007 the Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) filed its GPL
lawsuit, which was settled in March of this year. The win was hailed as
a victory for open source by the SFLC and others.

Apparently though open source types (like myself) thought the Verizon
thing was a big deal, it apparently never reached the radar screen of
Verizon's top exec. Go figure.
------

More details:

(to clarify)

1. Dismissal With Prejudice. (Verizon)

To wit:

http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp

still no word about the GNU GPL and/or source code... in spite of the
complaint stating that

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2007/dec/07/busybox/verizon.pdf

"Upon information and belief, ... Defendant also provides the Firmware
corresponding to the Infringing Product for download via its website, at
http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp.";;

2. Dismissal With Prejudice. (Cisco)

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/complaint-2008-12-11.pdf

"As such, any rights Defendant may have had to redistribute any Program
offered under any of the Licenses were automatically terminated the
instant that Defendant made non-compliant distribution of the Program in
its Infringing Products or Firmware. Since the first such violation of
each Program’s License, Defendant has had no right to distribute that
Program, or a modified version of the Program, under any circumstances
or conditions."

LMAO!

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)