Re: GPL traitor !

From: Rjack
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:57:47 -0400

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
In gnu.misc.discuss Rjack <user@example.net> wrote:
Matt Assay of C-Net fame and one of cyberworld's *biggest* supporters of the GPL is bailing out like he's Arlen Specter's campaign manager:

Oh, you have a wonderful way of dramatising things, RJ!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10229817-16.html "I have spent years advocating the GNU General Public License as the optimal open-source license for commercial open source. Roughly nine years after I first became a fan of the GPL, I think I've been wrong.

It seems Matt has long misunderstood the GPL. It was never intended to be optimal for "commercial open source", and most thinking people, including RMS, would agree that the Apache license
 is indeed better for this purpose.

I seems that anyone in the World who disagrees with the FSF's
interpretation of the GPL license and philosophy "misunderstands"
the GPL. Please tell us more about "misunderstanding" the GPL since we
are all too dumb to understand:

Audience member: [...] in this new World, and you're talking about GPL
going over to the next version, how do you see proprietary software
businesses making a profit?

[54:00]

Richard Stallman: That's unethical, they shouldn't be making any
money. I hope to see all proprietary software wiped out. That's what I
aim for. That would be a World in which our freedom is respected. A
proprietary program is a program that is not free. That is to say, a
program that does respect the user's essential rights. That's evil. A
proprietary program is part of a predatory scheme where people who
don't value their freedom are drawn into giving it up in order to gain
some kind of practical convenience. And then once they're there, it's
harder and harder to get out. Our goal is to rescue people from this.
http://fsfe.org/projects/gplv3/bangalore-rms-transcript

Sincerely,
Rjack :)