Re: GPL traitor !

From: Erik Funkenbusch
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 18:51:11 -0500

On Fri, 01 May 2009 08:34:39 -0500, chrisv wrote:

> Do you really think that "ratios of slowness" need to be calculated?
> Sheesh, man, you're running off a CD.  You can hear it and see the
> results.

I'm not sure what CD's you use, but everythign is now DVD-RW, and I haven't
had one make any real noise in a long time, other than on spin-up.  They
whine on spin-up but are pretty quiet after that.

> You just throw-out the results of the "speed test" because
> you're running off a freaking CDROM.  NO ONE is going to assume or
> expect that the speed is _at all_ representative of what it's like
> when it's running off HD.

You're sure about that?  Most people have no idea that CD's are slower than
hard drives.  Most people have no idea what the difference is, other than
removability.

Certainly, very technical people can deduce those things.  Most people
would never make the connection.

> Jeezez.  Most people aren't THAT stupid, much less 99% of them.

It's not a matter of stupid, it's a matter of not thinking about the issue,
or even knowing enough about how it works to think about it.

Most people still don't understand the difference between RAM and Hard Disk
space.  I constatly hear people say something like "My Microsoft has 500GB
of memory".  And you think those people will understand the intricacies of
CD versus hard disk performance?