Re: GPL traitor !

From: Doctor Smith
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 10:57:23 -0400

On Wed, 06 May 2009 09:53:04 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> writes:
>
>> In article <Iq5Ml.36996$i9.33913@bignews7.bellsouth.net>,
>>  Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@launchmodem.com> wrote:
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
>>>   this bit o' wisdom:

>>> Jesus, you're as dense as Erik.  What part of "corner cases" and "main
>>> meaning" did you not understand?
>>> Jesus, you're as dense as Erik.  What part of "corner cases" and "main
>>> meaning" did you not understand?
>>>
>>> And, in fact, you're probably taking it beyond legal considerations, into
>>> the realm of a Free-software philosopher's feelings about ethics.
>>>
>>> The fact is that honest people have found the GPL very straightforward and
>>> useful, hence its popularity.  IBM legal eagles don't seem to mind it, even
>>> if Microsoft found a way to break the spirit, if not the letter, of GPL 2.
>>
>> What you call "corner cases" are cases that have arisen frequently in
>> the real world, and have been the source of much argument on such places
>> as the Linux kernel mailing list.  GNOME arose from the controversy over
>> one of these "corner cases".  Free, secure email was delayed over one of
>> these "corner cases".  The vast majority of Linux-based cell phones fall
>> into one of these "corner cases", and are violating GPL, according to
>> the interpretation of GPL at fsf.org.
>>
>> A corner case is (from Wikipedia):
>>
>>    A corner case (or pathological case) is a problem or situation that
>>    occurs only outside of normal operating parameters ‹ specifically
>>    one that manifests itself when multiple environmental variables or
>>    conditions are simultaneously at extreme levels, even though each
>>    parameter is within the specified range for that parameter.
>>
>> If the "main meanings" of the GPL are so clear, how come so many people
>> keep hitting these corner cases?  Corner cases are supposed to be rare
>> and hard to hit--not commonly run into like they are with GPL.
>
> As usual Arestrom comes out of a thread looking like a total idiot. His
> willingness to look like a clueless dick in the "advocate" cause is
> nothing short of amazing.

It's creepy.

> The key here was that "NO, the GPL is NOT easily understood by everyone
> and anyone  that thinks it is is living in dream land".

Like I said before, just the fact that these GPL threads go on for days and
across multiple groups, shows that the GPL is not understood.

> But no. Liarsuck has to come ranting and raving about "corner
> cases". Headcases more like.

He has to keep Spamowitz happy.

> Despite all the proof Liarmutt will continue to yip and chase his tail
> all in the cause of doing his Master Roy's bidding.
>
> It's embarrassing for all to see.

Yes it is.
To see a seemingly grown person act like a school girl fawning over her 11
grade math teacher is very sad.