Re: GPL traitor !

From: Joerg Schilling
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: 20 May 2009 18:43:48 GMT

In article <4A144682.F88B2DDB@web.de>,
Alexander Terekhov  <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

>Hyman Rosen wrote:
>>
>> Joerg Schilling wrote:
>> > You can easily verify that you are wrong by checking:
>> > http://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical
>>
>> Why do you believe that a list of open source licenses
>> verifies that I'm wrong? You make no sense.
>
>Go to doctor, Hyman. Medicine sometimes helps.
>
>http://opensource.org/docs/osd
>
>"9. License Must Not Restrict Other Software
>
>The license must not place restrictions on other software that is
>distributed along with the licensed software. For example, the license
>must not insist that all other programs distributed on the same medium
>must be open-source software. "

Or better:

http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

---->
9. License Must Not Restrict Other Software

The license must not place restrictions on other software that is distributed
along with the licensed software. For example, the license must not insist that
all other programs distributed on the same medium must be open-source software.

Rationale: Distributors of open-source software have the right to make their
own choices about their own software.

Yes, the GPL is conformant with this requirement. Software linked with GPLed
libraries only inherits the GPL if it forms a single work, not any software
with which they are merely distributed.
<----

Note that the GPL was listed as _non_free_ for some time until the
FSF verified that the GPL has to be interpreted in a way that makes
it compliant to the OpenSource Definition section 9.

      js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)
      joerg.schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog:
http://schily.blogspot.com/