Re: GPL traitor !

From: Andrew Halliwell
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:29:27 +0100

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup wrote:
>>> A gun stored in parts is still a gun.
>>
>> The place to look for rules on copying is copyright law.
>> Inapt and irrelevant analogies will lead you to erroneous
>> conclusions.
>
> An executable image stored in parts is still an executable image.  Just
> because the assembly happens on-demand does not change the intent.

It changes the METHOD. With static, you're distributing copies of the
library you linked using that method.

With dynamic, you are NOT distributing that code. The code resides on the
user's computer, not in your code.

And don't use the term assembly like that. That has an utterly different
meaning in computing, converting cpu assembly language into object code.
The correct term is linking. One is linked at compile time (static), one is
linked at execution time (dynamic).
--
|   spike1@freenet.co,uk   | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"   |
|   Andrew Halliwell BSc   |                                                 |