Re: Geek Feminism Wiki Re RMS

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Geek Feminism Wiki Re RMS
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 14:00:33 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Rjack <user@example.net> wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> Morning, Rjack!

>>> Please provide those Copyright law sections that grant those
>>> "withdrawal" rights.

>> What Hyman said is common knowledge.  Anybody who's worked in the
>> computer industry knows it.  Why should he or anybody else go
>> through the tedium of showing what everybody knows?  It's a bit
>> like somebody saying "2 + 2 = 4", and you piping up saying "prove
>> it!".

> Yep. Just like WMD's in Iraq. Everyone knew they existed. Just common
> knowledge. Yep.

Not at all.  Weapons of mass delusion in Iraq were extremely
controversial, scarcely believed by anybody intelligent.  The existence
and effect of copyright law is believed in and understood by just about
everybody intelligent.

> If it doesn't exist, just make it up. Then when you can't back your
> assertion, just dismiss your antagonist with empty rhetoric. Yep.

You know, RJ, you can derail any intelligent discussion and make it inane
by pretending that our common culture needs to be continually justified
and that things like copyright law need to be cited at length every time
somebody mentions it.

Useful discussion posits the mutual acceptance of shared culture.
Copyright law is part of that culture.

To assert that the essence of copyright law is as in need of
justification as much as GWB's weapons of mass delusions is imbecilic.

>>> I think they're in your fertile imagination.

>> That's pure boorishness, not even attaining the sophistication
>> level of puerile playground taunts.

> If you can't stand the bully then get off the playground.

Your characterisation of yourself, not mine.

> Sincerely,
> Rjack

Have a good afternoon!

--