Effect of transfer of copyright on free software licenses?

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Effect of transfer of copyright on free software licenses?
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 16:22:37 -0700

Suppose I create a copyrighted work. I release it under a license such
as GPLv2. You use it, in a way that requires permission of the copyright
holder, but is in accord with GPLv2, so you are OK.

Suppose now that I transfer the copyright to someone else.

Do you now have something to worry about if the copyright assignee
wishes to stop you from copying, modifying, and distributing the
software?

The GPL is meant to be a bare license, not a contract, but doesn't that
mean it provides no protection if the ownership of the work changes?

--
--Tim Smith