Re: Effect of transfer of copyright on free software licenses?

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: Effect of transfer of copyright on free software licenses?
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:55:50 -0700

In article <87eisdeeiz.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org>,
 John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> wrote:
> > The GPL is meant to be a bare license, not a contract, but doesn't that
> > mean it provides no protection if the ownership of the work changes?
>
> It is a license to do certain things with the work, not a contract with a
> specific person.
>
> If I sell you an easement permitting you to run a cable across my land and
> then sell the land can the new owner tell you to take out your cable?  Of
> course not.

Selling an easement involves a contract and a property interest in the
land, so it is not a good comparison. A more fitting analogy would be if
you gave your neighbor whose yard was not fenced permission to keep
their dog in your fenced yard when they are away during the day. A buyer
of your land would have no obligation to continue to allow that.

--
--Tim Smith